Michael E. Reilly Memorial Scholarship for Excellence in Fire Science and Emergency Medical Technology
Facilitated by Suffolk Federal, a strong, growing and not-for-profit credit union, the Michael E. Reilly Memorial Scholarship for Excellence in Fire Science and Emergency Medical Technology supports promising students admitted to Suffolk County Community College who will pursue their higher education dreams while serving our communities as active firefighters or EMTs or who wish to pursue studies in fire science or emergency medical technology. A veteran member of the Board of Directors and Treasurer of Suffolk Federal, Edward Reilly served as Chief of the Patchogue Fire Department who together with his family and firehouse, lost his son Michael, an AE3 and EMT in the U.S. Coast Guard, a first responder and member of the Department’s Ambulance Company. While home on leave, Michael tragically lost his life in a vehicle accident as his ambulance raced to assist a firefighter in December 1980. We celebrate Michael’s memory through assisting promising fellow first responders and through the professional advancement of the study of fire science and emergency medical technology at Suffolk, New York’s largest and most comprehensive community college.
Awarded to: Full-time students – $5,000 (1 award)
• Resident of Suffolk County
• Submit credentials as a current volunteer or professional firefighter, EMT or Ambulance Corps first responder OR are enrolled in one of the following programs at Suffolk County Community College: Fire Protection Technology or EMT- Paramedic.
• Submit a minimum 250 word essay detailing academic achievements, extracurricular and community activities, and service as a First Responder, and/or interest in pursuing professional studies in fire science or emergency medical technology.
• Must be a member of Suffolk Federal at the time of the award. Proof of membership must be provided. If students are related to a Member of Suffolk Federal, they are eligible to apply, however, if selected, they must have an account with Suffolk Federal prior to receiving the scholarship award. All you need to become a member is visit Suffolk Federal online or at a conveniently located branch office and present:
- Proof that you live, work, worship, attend school or regularly conduct business in Suffolk County, NY, or have an immediate family member of current membership.
- A valid driver’s license, passport, military ID or state ID.
- A U.S. Social Security number.
- U.S. citizenship or resident alien status.
- External account information, if funding from an external account.