Navy SEAL LT Michael P. Murphy Memorial Scholarship
Matched with a $5,000.00 gift annually by Suffolk Federal, a strong, growing and not-for-profit credit union, the LT Michael P. Murphy Memorial Scholarship supports promising students at Suffolk County Community College who are pursuing their American Dream through excellence in higher education. A national hero and US Navy SEAL, LT Michael P. Murphy was posthumously awarded this nation’s highest award for valor, the Medal of Honor, gallantly giving his life for his country and for the cause of freedom. By his selfless leadership, courageous actions, and extraordinary devotion to duty, LT Murphy reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Navy. The LT Michael P. Murphy Scholarship Foundation and the Suffolk Federal Credit Union are honored to provide a $10,000.00 annual scholarship to a promising student studying at New York’s largest and most comprehensive community college. This scholarship recognizes and celebrates LT Murphy’s legacy of giving and favorite saying – “Education will set you free”.
Awarded to: Full-time students – $10,000 (1 award)
• Resident of Suffolk County
• Minimum Hight School GPA of 77
• Must be involved in a school sport, extracurricular school activity or community based organization
• Must be a member of Suffolk Federal at the time of the award. Proof of membership must be provided. If students are related to a Member of Suffolk Federal, they are eligible to apply, however, if selected, they must have an account with Suffolk Federal prior to receiving the scholarship award. All you need to become a member is visit Suffolk Federal online or at a conveniently located branch office and present:
- Proof that you live, work, worship, attend school or regularly conduct business in Suffolk County, NY, or have an immediate family member of current membership.
- A valid driver’s license, passport, military ID or state ID.
- A U.S. Social Security number.
- U.S. citizenship or resident alien status.
- External account information, if funding from an external account.